Christine Grahame MSP held a Members’ debate in the name of St Andrew’s Children’s Society to congratulate us on our Centenary during Members’ Business at The Scottish Parliament on Tuesday, 28 March 2023. You can watch the full debate here:
You may read a transcript of the debate here:
Christine Grahame MSP secured the Members’ debate about St Andrew’s Children’s Society after lodging the motion below:
- that the Parliament congratulates St Andrew’s Children’s Society on marking its centenary in 2022;
- understands that St Andrew’s Children’s Society is the oldest adoption and fostering agency still in existence in Scotland;
- recognises what it sees as the valuable work that the Society does connecting vulnerable children to safe and loving homes, including in the Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale constituency;
- understands that it is the only agency in Scotland to offer the SafeBase parenting programme, which is a therapeutic programme for parents of adopted and fostered children who have attachment difficulties;
- notes that over £20,000 has been raised during the centenary and that a number of events have been held, including a Family February FUNdraising challenge, a fundraising concert by Cadenza and a parliamentary reception in the Scottish Parliament, and that a special commemorative booklet was also written by Maureen McEvoy MBE;
- pays credit to all of the staff and volunteers who have supported the Society over the last 100 years, with particular credit to the adopted and foster parents who have provided safe and loving homes to their adopted and foster children, and extends its best wishes to all who are involved in adoption and fostering.
Supported by: Karen Adam, Alasdair Allan, Jeremy Balfour, Alexander Burnett, Maggie Chapman, Natalie Don, Bob Doris, Jackie Dunbar, Pam Duncan-Glancy, Annabelle Ewing, Kenneth Gibson, Pam Gosal, Emma Harper, Liam Kerr, Bill Kidd, Rona Mackay, Ruth Maguire, Roz McCall, Paul McLennan, Stuart McMillan, Marie McNair, Audrey Nicoll, Paul O’Kane, Emma Roddick, Mark Ruskell, Alexander Stewart, Paul Sweeney, David Torrance, Evelyn Tweed
We have just finished celebrating our Centenary and the very positive recognition which we received during the debate, not just from Christine Grahame MSP but also from all her MSP colleagues who spoke during the debate, means a great deal to us, our families and our supporters.
If you would like to find out more about adopting or fostering a child through St Andrew’s Children’s Society please call 0131 454 3370 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.